Thursday, July 18, 2013

Welcome Baby Abigail

I know it is way past her birth but I am finally writing about Abigails birth.

It all started on March 18, 2013, I woke up to get ready for work and when I went to the bathroom I couldnt stop peeing...well I wasnt peeing at all, my water had broke. I called Derek and told him to come home and take me to the hospital. I grabbed my hospital bag that I had packed a few days before and waited for him to come home. Once Derek got home we got the kids and loaded up in the car and headed for McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden Utah. I wasnt having any contractions at the time so I was pretty sure we would make it to the hospital okay (it was an hours drive). I called my mom and dad to meet us there to watch the kids while Derek and I went back. Derek dropped me off and then went to park the car. As soon as I stood up out of the car a huge gush of fluid came and soaked my pants....YUCK! So I sat in a chair in the lobby and waited for him to get a wheelchair for me. He came in with the kids and left them there with my mom and dad. Derek took me up to the labor and delivery floor and we got all checked in. They took me back to triage to make sure that in deed my water had broken, and it had. They got me into a room and called my doctor. They started an IV and anibiotics right away. The kids came up to see me and then my mom took them to her house to get some breakfast and ready for the day. I was having a few small contractions but nothing serious so they didnt think i would have her that day. Which was good because I was only 31 weeks and 2 days along. A couple hours after I got there my doctor came in and took out my cerclage stitch. We all thought that might make me go into labor so they watched me close for the next couple of hours. Nothing happened so they sent me to the postpardum floor to stay until I went into labor. Derek went and got the kids and they came and visited me to make sure that mommy was okay. Then they went home to get some rest.

March 19, 2013 today was pretty uneventful. I just layed in bed and watched tv.

March 20, 2013 today I started feeling a little bit of pain and preassure but nothing horrible during the day. Derek came to visit but left to go home around 10:00pm. Around 11pm I started having really bad pains. I knew something was happening so I called the nurse and they took me over to labor and delivery. They monitored me and saw that I was having contractions so I called my mom and sister to come up to the hospital. The doctors gave me some medication to stop the contractions and it worked. Every went home and I tried to get some rest. They sent me back to my room in postpardum in the morning.

March 21, 2013 today also started off pretty good. Nothing serious just a few pains here and there. But everything all started at night. I started feeling the same pains that I did the night before so I called the nurse. She said that nothing was happening and it was probably just because my water had broken so long ago. She put me on the monitor and saw a few contractions. Then she decided to take me off because it wasnt really bad. Then around 2 am I couldnt take the pain any longer!! It was so intense and I felt like I had to push. I called the nurse and they decided to check me...I was a 10 and her head was coming....I called Derek and my mom to rush to the hospital but they were to far away and she was coming now!!! They rushed me to labor and delivery and took me straight into a surgery room to deliver. I started pushing even before my doctor go there because she wanted to come out right then and there. Luckily my doctor got there right in time. I pushed maybe 3 times and she was out (3:30am) She weighed 3 lbs. 13 ounces and was 16 inches long. My mom got to the delivery room right after she was born. She was in the room next to the delivery room with the NICU team. My mom said she could hear her crying. Just before the wheeled me out of the surgery/delivery room my mom asked the NICU team if I was able to hold her for a second....the doctor for Abbie said she is doing good lets let her hold her...it was a dream come true. They wrapped her in a blanket and I was able to hold her for a minute. I was able to look at her and kiss her. The first ever. I was never able to hold London and Teagan after they were born. They took her back and got her all ready to go into the NICU. Just as they put me back in the labor and delivery room to start recovery Derek came. He came and saw me and then went in to see Abbie, he came back and said she was beautiful. I went back to my postpardum room to rest a little bit. Derek took me in the wheelchair to see her around 7am, when I got in the NICU I was feeling really lightheaded. I passed out while I was sitting in the weheelchair...it was a little embarrassing. Derek took me back to the room to rest some more so I could be relaxed and hold my daughter. Later that day I was able to hold my sweet baby girl. It was love!! I love her so much. I wish she could come home with me but it is reassuring knowing that she is diong good and will be taken care of.

Abbie only had to be on oxygen for 2 days. She had to be on her IV for a while becuase she was so little. She did good with tolerating the milk, she gained weight really good. The only issue she had during her 6 week stay was that they saw some blood in her tummy when the drew back some milk. They gave her an IV again and stopped feeding her to make sure she was okay. She ended up being fine. They never realy knew what happened.

Sweet Abigail Jane Grunander came home with us on May 1, 2013...6 weeks to the day from her birth date.

We decided on the name Abigail because the day I gave birth my nurses name was Abby. She was really nice and sweet and Derek decided he liked that name. We were debating between Chloe and Autumn, but when we saw Abbie we knew that would be here name. It just fit her so well.

Abigail we love you so much. I couldnt ask for the perfect ending to our family. LOVE YOU BABY GIRL!!!

No comments: